A mainstay of the West Midlands' short film production; Screen WM's digishorts, has opened its doors for applications once more, this year accompanied by a dedicated shorts-commissioning scheme for the region's animators.The 2008/09 scheme is now, for the very first time, partnered with the rather snazzy looking 4mations, who will be accepting applications as soon as their own Digital Shorts page goes live on 10th October 2008. The deadline for applications to this animated-short film funding scheme will be 9am, Monday 10th November 2008.The maximum budget for animations made through the 4mations Digital Short Film will be £15,000.Digishorts itself is a Screen WM and UK Film Council backed, annual programme for up and coming filmmakers to create their own short films using a budget of up to £10,000. Previous animated digishorts have included The Beloved Ones, The Animal Book and Phizog. 2007/08's crop includes Steven Spencer's animated drama Momster.For those interested in making an non-animated digishort; the scheme is open to West Midlands filmmakers with at least one short film on a showreel already, or moving image artists, designers, animators, etc, with at least one equivalent piece of work to view.
There is no upper time limit on shorts commissioned, and there are no restrictions regarding genre. The deadline for applications to the main digishorts scheme is 5pm Monday 10th November 2008
From all applications submitted a selected shortlist of up to 25 projects will be developed with Screen WM, and then a final 6 projects (which will include at least one animation from the 4mations Digital Short Film scheme) will be produced.
Please note the following are ineligible to apply:
- Writers/Directors/Producers who do not live in the West Midlands
- Writers without a director attached
- Producers without a writer/director or a director and writer team attached and/or with less than 2 years' industry experience
- Full-time students
- Anyone under 18 years of age (please see www.firstlightmovies.com for information on filmmaking opportunities for young people)
- Writers/Directors/Producers applying to more than one Digital Shorts scheme in the UK in 2008*
More can be found on the digshorts 'how to apply' webpage.